The SumUp Card Reader can be used to process card payments, e.g. donations. The card reader has already been configured to communicate with the Speakeasy bank account, following the simple instructions available on the SumUp web site. This document is therefore just a brief guide on how to take a payment.
Switch on the card reader by pressing and holding power switch located on the right-hand side of the device, until SumUp can be seen on the card reader display.
Switch on and unlock the phone – the unlock code is on the reverse of the phone.
Once the phone unlocked, launch the SumUp application which is already installed on the phone.
Let us assume that a member is attending a Speakeasy meeting and needs to pay the £7.50 attendance fee (donation). To process the payment:
- Click the basket icon which appears in the bottom middle of the SumUp application on the phone screen.
- Click the “Member attendance” icon, which shows a cost of £7.50. The Charge button should change to show the chargeable amount. If correct, then click the Charge button.
- The SumUp application will then show three options Card Reader, Payment Links and Cash. Select the Card Reader option.
- The card reader will then display a message which reads Please tap, together with the amount being charged. At this point, the payer should place their card near to the card reader until an acceptance beep is heard. Once complete, there is an option to provide a receipt via email or SMS.
The transaction will timeout if no card is presented within a given time limit- if this occurs a message is displayed on the SumUp application and this can be dismissed.
Always check the amount being charged – if a user inadvertently clicks multiple items, then their basket of items can easily be cleared by clicking the basket icon in the bottom left hand side of the SumUp application and then clicking Clear Cart.
The SumUp application has been configured with SpeakEasy bank details, ensuring that all transactions are processed securely and monies deposited in the account approximately 2-3 days later.
Adding/Editing New Basket Items
The pre-configured items such as those for £5 and £10 donations and the £7.50 attendance donation can easily be edited in the SumUp application. To add a new item, click the basket icon which appears in the bottom middle of the SumUp application on the phone screen. Then click the Manage button. To add a new item, click Add Item. Give the item a short name and enter the chargeable amount. Make sure the VAT setting is set appropriately. To edit an item, click one of the existing items and modify its content. Click the green tick item to save or the cross item to undo the change.
Charging a custom amount
Browse the sales history and choose the transaction that needs to be refunded.
Click on the three dots in the right corner of the transaction field and choose “Refund transaction” to bring up the refund screen.
An opportunity will be given to toggle between full and partial refunds with the button at the top of the screen. The toggle will be automatically set to “Full” so full refunds can be issued by simply hitting “Next”. If issuing a partial refund, tap “Partial”, type in the refund amount and hit “Next”.
Changing Bank Details
SumUp Monthly Report and Invoices
- a monthly statement all transactions
- a monthly invoice showing SumUp’s deductions